The personal representative has three kinds of duties to the estate and its beneficiaries:
- the duty to be impartial (that is, not to favor the interests of one party over another);
- the duty of undivided loyalty (not to put one’s own interests in conflict with the interests of the estate); and
- the duty to administer the estate with care and prudence
The PR also has specific duties, including:
- collecting and taking an inventory of the assets of the estate;
- managing these assets during the period of administration and paying the estate bills, including claims of creditors, expenses of administration and any taxes; and
- making distribution to the heirs or the beneficiaries under a will.